Not your grandmother’s library.
Libraries offer wonderful, ever-expanding resources that may be new to you. For instance, with the 2010 addition of digital media downloads to the long list of Dallas Public Library services, there are items available to you from home.
Get the card!
Your library card is now the gateway to a rich array of research, education, and entertainment choices. Some that may surprise you.
The Dallas library system offers a wide selection of materials. Did you know that, now, you can even download media from the library online? Digital Dallas allows patrons to download e-books, audio-books, videos and music…at home!
Dallas Public library services include:
- Over 70,000 book on site at Lochwood Library alone
- Other books may be reserved for pick up at Lochwood from any Dallas library
- Access to powerful subscription databases, valuable for business and educational uses
- Current and past issues of magazines and newspapers
- DVDs, CDs, even video games
- Downloads of digital media
- More than 24 computers with internet service
Lochwood Library has:
- Areas dedicated to children, young adults, research, comfortable reading and more
- A 400 seat theater with audio, lighting, and projection equipment
- Classroom spaces
- Free educational programs
- Author talks, films, and special interest events
- A monthly book club
- See Lochwood Library Events link for more
What happened to Casa View Library?
In order to expand the building, increase parking and update the Casa View Branch, it was necessary to relocate to a new facility.
Casa View was reincarnated in November 2009 as Lochwood Library in a spacious, 19,000 square foot facility. The building is Silver Rated for energy conservation compliance. Interior accents are warm and festive, and the space is filled with natural light. The open floor plan has themed areas for children and teens, a large bank of computers, and meeting, learning and performance space. Opening day inventory included 70,000 books. Audio books, music, and movies are available. Digital downloads are now offered online, as well.
Lochwood Library was built on the site of the long shuttered Casa View YMCA gymnasium. That building was incorporated into the library as the Black Box Theater. The theater can accommodate up to 420, and is frequently used to present speakers, performances and even movies.
When Casa View Library opened in 1964, it broke all US public library records for the most books checked out on a single day. May 2010, Lochwood Library had the most transactions of any Dallas Library branch.
Lochwood Branch Library Friends works here!
Learn more about the public events that the friends offer, free of charge. Look at the Events page. We can always use new volunteers, too! Visit our Membership page to learn more and to join our group.